Wednesday, 19 December 2018

The Sixth D.I.Y of Christmas - 6 Pot Holder Gifts

These were made by Small (age 12) for giving as gifts to some family friends. She has made some as gifts before, and also for selling at craft fairs to raise money for charity. They make up quickly from scraps and are fab little gifts.

Christmas Pot Holders - Our Handmade Home

We're almost at the shortest day and the light was fading by the time Small was making these, so please excuse the poor light in the photos - These are made out of 100% cotton  scraps on the outside and 2 layers of cheap recycled fleece fabric on the inside.

how to make pot holders - our handmade home

An 8 inch square carefully stitched together inside out (leaving a small space for turning inside out) trimmed closely and turned the right way round, adding a loop for hanging. Then stitched round the outside and in an spiral shape towards the middle.

pot holders - our handmade home

A little stack ready for wrapping.

xmas pot holders - our handmade home

Tuesday, 18 December 2018

The Fifth D.I.Y of Christmas - 5 Paper Chains

Paper chains are one of the simplest homemade decorations. My kids (Small and Teeny) make them together and there is quickly enough for decorating a room.

All I do is cut a load of coloured A4 paper into 2cm strips and give the kids staplers to make chains. You could just as well use white paper or newspaper if you were stuck, or wanted to keep things ultra-retro.

We use staplers after a bit of a gluey flop a few years back, Small is mature enough to keep safe, but be sure to keep a close eye on younger (or more mechanically curious) fingers, staples are quick and strong.

Total Time: 30 mins
Total Cost: £0.30 worth of paper and staples maybe? (It's all stuff we have lying around anyway)
Total Christmassy Factor: 7/10

Sunday, 16 December 2018

The Forth D.I.Y of Christmas - 4 Handmade Stockings

I can't think of anything nicer than a handmade Christmas Stocking hanging by the fireplace waiting for Santa. Apart from, maybe, a stocking filled with goodies on Christmas morning!!!

xmas Stockings - Our Handmade Home

I struggled to find the right pattern for me and was uninspired by the photos accompanying the patterns that I did find, however I eventually settled on this hobbycraft pattern, but knitted them 2/3 of the pattern (i.e cast on 40 stitches rather that 60), using aran 100% wool on 5mm circular needle (using the magic loop method)

There is one stocking with random stripes (not a huge fan of it though) and one with 2 row stripes (which I think is much cuter). The spots were embroidered onto plain stockings after knitting, to avoid holes.

The yarn I used is 100% wool spun at New Lanark mills in the UNESCO world heritage site. It is available to buy online too.

Total Cost - £20 ish (but most of the yarn was left over from other projects)
Total Time - Probably 6 hours per stocking
Total Christmassy Factor - 9/10
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...