I don't feel like I am keeping up with the other ladies at all.
Well the top 3 stairs have now been primed #win
I did spend 3 days in the past week on my knees, with a sander and the living-room floor is looking lover-ley.
|At least it is near the stairs!|
Having done some research into the matter I had 4 options:
- Screw from above through the tread and into the riser to eliminate movement - our risers are only 8mm plywood, so that is never going to work.
- Hammer wedges, shims or packers into any gap to eliminate movement.
- Caulk all gaps above, and glue all gaps below to eliminate movement.
- Remove all the braces and replace them, then repeat parts 1, 2 and 3.
I decided to go for options 2 and 3 combined.
So today I rolled my sleeves up and crouched back under the stairs again to get those plastic shims in place. I did my best to get them wedged in by just pushing them, I snapped 4 trying to tap them gently with the hammer. Then I squirted no-more-nails-stylee glue into all the gaps (as recommended on many a you-tube video)
I completed 2 stairs worth before stopping for a cuppa, not before whacking my head off of the underside of the stairs at least 6 times *OUCH*
I'll let this set and see if it has made any difference, if it has worked I should be able to get the rest of them done this week.
Here is what still needs done:
- Sand back the plaster for the entire stairwell - Well, John's been doing lots of extra work for his proper job so the sanding is progressing at a snail's pace... *screams on the inside*
- Prime and paint the stairwell walls
- Fit plastic packers to stop squeaks - Started!
- Caulk all the gaps - Started!
- Sand back the filler
Prime the last 3 stairs
- Fit beading between stringer and the plasterboard
Fit beading on corner under-sidey bit- Nailed it! (sorry)
- Paint the entire staircase (twice)
- Floor varnish over the painted stairs - not sure we'll need this actually
- Stick on tread gripy strips - I'm looking into alternatives to these now.
Once again here are the links for the other lovely ladies taking part in this lunacy