Anywhoos, there I was wandering through blog-land when I clicked on Ugly Duckling House, I'm a regular visitor, and here was a post about a staircase duel... between UDH and DIY diva. They are having a DIY-off for finishing their staircase first.
So I'm going to join in with them. I'm not really one of the gang so I am more shouting from the sidelines, but they did ask if anyone wanted to join in, and that kick up the bum was just what I needed.
You may have seen that our staircase was near the top of our goals list for this year anyway, so the girls have inspired me to pull up my socks and y'know, start actually doing it. It was October when I finished the plastering, and I swore I would get the sanding done the following weekend. I did not. And we haven't really done anything else on the stairs since then.
Here is what still needs done:
- Sand back the plaster for the entire stairwell
- Prime and paint the stairwell
- Fit plastic packers under the stairs to stop the squeaking
- Caulk the gaps on the stairs
- Sand back the filler
- Prime the last 3 stairs, which never got done when I primed the rest of it
- Fit beading between stringer and the plasterboard
- Fit beading on corner under-sidey bit
- Paint the entire staircase (twice)
- Seal the treads of the staircase with a hard-wearing clear floor varnish
- Stick on tread gripy strips (these probably have a proper name,)
To properly finish we also need to patch the plasterboarding (x) where we have left it open for our home-network - but if we want to finish this, we must also finish wiring for said home network, which is in John's hands, and that's another show.
I'll be running updates as I go along.
The race is on!
- - -
ETA - Don't forget to check out my progress:
How I stopped my stairs from creaking