I've priced it at 60p per portion and it is loaded with veg and pulses so it is pretty low in fat and high in yummy healthy vitamins.
You will need a BIG pot (one that can hold at least 6 litres) I use a 6l pressure cooker.
- 2 onions
- 750g beef mince
- 750g vegetables ( a mixture of mushrooms, courgettes, celery or carrots - all grated or minced - I use my food processor to grate it all super quick, but it doesn't take that long to do it all by hand)
- Handful of green lentils
- Handful of red lentils
- Beef stockcube
- Worcestershire Sauce - a generous splishity splishity splash
- Tabasco - 1 tbsp (depending on taste) or 4 chillis
- 4 x 500g cartons of pasata, or equivilent of tinned tomatoes, plus 1 tin/carton of water.
- 2 tins of kidney beans
- 3 bell peppers diced (1 red and 2 green)
* * *
Add the mince and stir over a medium heat until it has all browned.
Stir in the grated veg, lentils and stock cube; stir until well mixed in.
Give it about 10 minutes at that same medium heat then stick in all the other ingredients.
Bring it to the boil then reduce the heat right down to slowly simmer the chilli for 2 hours or so.
Or... make it in a pressure cooker and bring it to pressure for 20-30mins.
Or... after browning the mince, put everything in a slow-cooker for the day.
Serve with rice (the cheapest option), toast, tortilla chips or wraps.
* * *
I've priced the shopping basket for the ingredients at £13 - This includes full packets of lentils, full bottles of Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce, and a packet of stock-cubes, there will be lots left for another day.
One pot makes around 15 portions I'm guessing that is a true cost of around 55p - 60p per portion.
It is also loaded with vegetables and pulses so it is pretty low in fat and high in yummy healthy vitamins.